Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New Testament Tuesday #3

The readings this week were mostly from the book of Hebrews.  I have to admit that it was hard for me to get through the first 10 chapters and considering there are only 13 that means it was a struggle for me to read pretty much every day!  I'm not saying that it's not important stuff or that I got nothing from it.  It's just that your brain has to be functioning on a higher level than I can get mine to go in the mornings.  Anyway, I am looking forward to the book of Luke this week and have enjoyed the first chapters from that account. 

So the verses that thrilled me the most out of our reading in Hebrews was chapter 12 verses 1 and 2.
"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." (NAS)

It really caused me to ask myself some questions, "What are things that keep me from running my race?"  "What are things that keep me from fixing my eyes on Jesus?" 
I don't know what those answers are for you, but for me it's SELF.  Basically I can get in my own way faster than anything or anyone.  ME.  You know what I'm saying?  As soon as I think about what I need, want or desire....I'm pretty sure that I'm off the track and I am for sure not fixing my eyes on Jesus.  I'm not saying that God does not want us to have desires or wants.  In fact I think the opposite is true.  However, when those desires and wants are all about myself or things that don't have any eternal value and if I haven't sought after God's will in that direction, and I'm just barreling along....then I'm encumbered and entangled.  I've been tripped up and I'm probably going to fall down.  But I have hope that the one who sits at the right hand of God will pick me up, dust me off and set my feet on the path again.  I have also learned that these detours can be great teaching lessons if I choose to look for the lesson. 

Lord, please help me to keep myself free from any entanglements.  Help me to keep my eyes on you and run the race you have set before me with faith.  Thank you for your forgiveness and your grace.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0