Friday, March 5, 2010

Easter Eggs



Easter is approaching and I realized I did not have that much stuff, with which to decorate the house. So I decided to make my own. I didn't photograph every step but I will try to explain as best as I can each thing I did.

First, I bought some eggs at Kroger. JUST KIDDING! I'm not going to be that detailed...promise.

Okay so for real now. I took a real egg and poked a hole in the top with a large sewing needle and a hole in the bottom also, but I made the one in the bottom bigger (about pea sized). Then I blew into the small hole at the top and blew all the egg white and yolk down the sink. I know you are probably thinking, "What a waste!". You are so right! But I didn't even think about putting the egg in a bowl to cook or anything...I was just concerned about having my intact egg shells. But now that you are reading this you can learn from me. Save your eggs and make me some cookies!

So I made 6 eggs exactly the same way and then I washed them and tried to rinse them out also. Then they dried for a couple of days.

The next thing I did was make glasses of water with food coloring in them. I used blue, green, pink and purple. The Neon food coloring, which I did purchase at Kroger. I didn't add any vinegar or anything else. Oh, before this I tried to paint one of the eggs (the yellow one) with craft paint....I didn't like the results and so that is when I decided to just dye them.
I let the eggs dry for most of the day and then I decorated them! My boys really wanted to help and so I am going to let them dye and decorate some boiled eggs next week. I had to tell them, "This is Mommy's craft project, it's for me." I know... mean Mommy.


I chose to decorate mine with flowers and rhinestones. I have a large flower paper punch and a small one. So I made several flowers of each size out of pink and green paper. I have a small Xyron sticker maker and so I sent each one of those flowers through to get a sticky back. I bought two packages of sticky rhinestones in the scrapbooking section at Hobby Lobby. Then I just decorated however I felt like. The flowers went on wonderfully because I didn't have to glue anything down or worry about it sticking. The rhinestones were good at sticking where they were stuck.  I then coated the eggs in two layers of Mod Podge though.  Just for protection and to give them a nice shine. 


Then I made holders for them. I don't have any egg cups so I just took some wire (not sure which gage) and wrapped it around the round handle of my pizza cutter maybe 8 or 10 times. Then I slid the wire off the handle and wrapped a tail end of it around the circles of wire. I made one for each egg and then painted them with that yellow craft paint.


After letting the holders dry, I placed them on the top of a book shelf and on the top of the piano and placed an egg on each one. Then I spread some green Easter basket grass around them.



I enjoyed making them and I just hope they make it through to Easter. You never know when a little boy will decide to throw a ball in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0