Monday, March 8, 2010

Aprons for the Boys


My boys love to help in the kitchen. I love that they love to help. They call themselves "Cookers". I've tried to correct this with the proper title of Chef but, they just haven't gone for it.

Our Grandi bought them each an apron that is just their size. I decided to add their first initial to the front so that they would know which one was theirs. I had some red felt and though I had never tried this with felt, it turned out pretty good. Not sure how it will wash but, we will cross that bridge when we get there.

So this is super easy to do and it looks like you have been really crafty. I had some big die-cut letters for scrapbooking. I just had lower case letters so that is what I used. Those letters became my patterns. I used Heat n Bond Ultra Hold (no sew) to make the letters stick. So here is how it works:

1. Turn your iron to medium heat. Cut off a square of the Heat n Bond, as much as you will need for the size of the project you are doing. Then place it sticky side down on your material and go over the paper of the Heat n Bond for like 2 or 3 seconds. Now that Heat n Bond will be stuck to your material.

2. Trace out your shape or letter onto the paper side of your material. Keep in mind that you want to do it backwards so that your letters will come out correctly.

3. Cut out your letter or shape. You can use regular fabric scissors or even pinking shears for added fun.

4. Now you have your letter or shape all cut out and ready to stick to your item (ex: apron, onsie, shirt, etc...). Peal the paper off the cut-out and position it, sticky side down, where you would like it to be on your item.

5. Make sure you have it exactly where you want it because you can't go back once you start ironing. Now iron over the whole cut-out by sections, 8 seconds on each one.

6. Let it cool and you are ready to go.

Now you can get Heat n Bond that will allow you to sew and reinforce the edges of your cut-outs also. I have used both and they are great products. If you don't understand my directions, the ones on the packaging will not lead you wrong!

1 comment:

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0