Tuesday, October 19, 2010

New Testament Tuesday #6

The reading this week was 1 Corinthians and 2 Corinthians.  There were so many things that stood out to me but I'll just share one.  It was in 2 Corinthians 2:15&16
"For we are a fragrance of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing; to the one an aroma from death to death, to the other an aroma from life to life.  And who is adequate for these things?"

There are many references in the old and new testament where it speaks of "fragrance" or "fragrant aromas".
In Ezekiel 20:41 God is speaking through his prophet saying, "As a soothing aroma I shall accept you,...".  In Ephesians 5:2 Paul speaks of Christ who, "gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma."  In Phillipians 4:18 Paul writes that "having received from Epaphrditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God."

It seems to me that fragrance is portrayed as a gift or an offering.  I am supposed to present myself, my life, all that I am to God and for his use.  That is my offering to Him.  The fragrance of Chirst is his offering, his sacrifice for us and as believers who are "being saved" His aroma should be all over us.  In 1 Corinthians 1:18 it says, "For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."  "Death to death" and "life to life".

As for the "who is adequate for these things?" part, that is answered in 2 Corinthians 3:5, "Not that we are adequate (sufficient) in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God.".  Phew!  What a relief!  I don't have to rely on myself!  Just like 2 Corinthians 12:9 says (God speaking), "My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is perfected in weakness."!

Lord I pray that you will grant me your sufficiency.  That you will use my life for your purpose and that it will be a fragrant aroma fully pleasing to you.  May I be dependent on you and the cross and fully aware of the false promises of enemy.  Thank you for your word and thank you for your redemptive love.  Amen.

1 comment:

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0