Monday, April 12, 2010

The Bluebonnets Are Here!

In Texas,we may have really hot summers but in the Spring, we have beautiful wildflowers and the most beautiful is the state flower.  The Bluebonnet.  Don't get me wrong I still prefer a bouquet of Gerber daisys or roses on special occasions, but to look at a field of Bluebonnets and to see them as you travel along the state highways is fabulously breathtaking.  I can remember, as a kid, my Mom taking pictures of my sisters and I in the Bluebonnets and other wild flowers.  As a Mom I am trying to create some Bluebonnet memories with my boys.  I learned a song in elementary school that I am already singing to them.  Here are the words to the song:

Bluebonnets, Bluebonnets, with your coats so blue,
Your white eyes are shining through the silvery dew.
We know your a dolly offered for the rain.
We know you'll return again to Texas in the Spring.

This is a great book that I remember reading in elementary school also, The Legend of the Bluebonnet by Tomie de Paola. I am going to try to find it at the library when we go tomorrow.

Here are some more pictures of our Bluebonnet fun!



3 comments:

  1. Oh, man. You are making me so homesick! The smell of honeysuckle is overwhelming my road right now, so I am happy here, too. Enjoy it before it gets too hot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a copy of Legend of the Bluebonnets and Legend of the Indian Paintbrush you could borrow if you didn't find them at the library. Just let me know, and I'll get them from my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I was a little girl I learned that song(I'm almost 70) and I have searched high and low to find out more about that song..I was beginning to think I had made it up..and finally..someone that knows the song too..hot dang. I couldn't remember the names of the presidents of the United States but I had that song memorized for over 55 years...I sang it to my daughter when she was a baby, I sang it to my granddaughters and now I'm singing it to my great granddaughters...wish I could find out more about it...anyhow..thanks I think you and I are the only 2 people that remember the song..jackie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0