Tuesday, November 16, 2010

New Testament Tuesday #8

I have to be totally honest with everyone here.  I am behind on the reading schedule and I thought I was only a week behind, but it turns out it's more like 2 weeks!  I have read up to 1st Timothy.  I am not giving up though.  My plan is to double up days and get through it because it is worth getting through.

I am at the very end of a study called "Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy" written by Beth Moore.  If any of you have ever done this study then you can understand how consuming it is and how it's hard to stop to read anything other than the book of Daniel.  However, as I was reading 1 John, I came across some verses that tied some of things I have been learning all together for me.   1 John 2:15- (NIV) says this,
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father[a] is not in them. 16 For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever. 

When I read this it brought to mind the things that I have been learning and studying in this Daniel study.  These verses touch on several of the main points in the study.

1.  I can't love the world or anything in the world (our Babylonian culture) and love God.  I can't have it both ways.  I have to decide and resolve to be consistent in my walk.

2.  If Satan can't get me to worship him he will use whatever he can to take my focus off God (lust of the flesh and lust of the eyes).  In fact he's real big on helping me to keep my focus on myself (pride of life) .


2.  This world and all it's trappings will have an end.  I don't know when that will be and I don't have to.  I just need to be prepared every day to humble myself before God and be ready to do his will. 

I highly recommend the Beth Moore study on Daniel.  It has been extremely educational and life changing for me.  Let's encourage one another to stay the course with the reading and I know that God will reward our efforts when we ask for His wisdom and understanding.

Lord, please help me as I struggle to find a balance in my life.  Let your word be my guide and help me to measure all that I do by it.  In your wonderful name!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0