Monday, June 7, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Bird-in-a-Bagel

I received the Rachael Ray Yum-o! The Family Cookbook for Christmas a couple of years ago and have recently tried some of the recipes that are found therein.  I love to cook and I love to try new recipes.  I don't always have the time or the energy for it but it is enjoyable for me.  I like being able to make something that my family will enjoy. 

So the recipe this week comes from the Rachael Ray cookbook and it is called Bird-in-a-Bagel.  I made it for breakfast but in my opinion you could have it for any meal.  It's about 7 Weight Watchers points.

You will need:
Ingredients
1/2 apple, your favorite variety, finely chopped
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
4 slices Canadian bacon, cut in half and then into thin strips
Salt and black pepper
1 T butter
2 whole-wheat bagels, split
4 eggs (I would use small, unless you have bagels with big holes.)

Instructions
In a bowl combine the chopped apple, shredded Cheddar, and Canadian bacon.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter.  When the butter is melted, add the bagels to the skillet, cut side down.  Carefully crack one egg into each of the bagel holes. 

Place a piece of foil or a lid on the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the eggs have firmed up enough for you to flip the bagels over.  Flip gently to avoid breaking the egg yolks.


 Once flipped, top each bagel with some of the apple mixture, cover the skillet with foil or a lid again, and cook the bird-in-a bagel until the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes more.

Slide a bagel onto each plate and eat up.


The whole family seemed to like it.  I will definitely make it again, although next time I will use small eggs.  I only had large and there was just too much egg for the bagel hole.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! You make my day!

Swidget 1.0